Friday, June 02, 2006

Early Morning Prayer

‘My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer to You, and will look up.’ Psalm 5.3

I will direct my ‘prayer’ as an arrow, and after that, ‘I will look up’, to see if it has hit. When the prayer is directed in the morning, the ‘look up’ lasts all day. – Dr Charles Stanford.

There are many early risers mentioned in the Bible. These men of God found solutions to life’s problems by directing their prayers to the One who would hear and assist them in the endeavours for the day. Before the day began they received the confidence necessary to shoulder responsibilities.

Abraham rose early in the morning to stand before the Lord [Gen 19.27]. Jacob rose early in the morning, to worship the Lord [Gen 28.18]. Moses rose early to build an altar to god [Exod 24.4] and to meet God at Sinai [Exod 34.4]. Hannah and Elkanah rose early to worship God [1 Sam 1.19], Job rose early to offer sacrifices [Job 1.5], David awakened early for prayer [Psalm 119.147; Psalm 57.8]. Hezekiah rose up early and gathered the rulers of the city and went up to the house of the Lord [2 Chron 29.20]. The Son of God rose early to go to a solitary place to pray [Mark 1.35]

[Extracted from 'Streams in the Desert', Vol 2. by Mrs Charles Cowman]

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

What a beautiful blog about the importance of early morning prayer. I used to go to a city wide early morning prayer once a week @ 5 or 6am in the morning. It was one of the most amazing things I had ever done and it changed my life and my heart! All/several of the Christian churches were apart of it and we would come in unity praying together. We would pray for our city and other things going on in the world...

Just thought I'd share since I found your blog while looking to see if that group is still meeting.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License
This blog and its sister blogs are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.